Saturday, December 1, 2012

Food Galore in Chinatown!


Of all the places in Manila, Binondo holds a sentimental spot in my heart for two reasons. Not only was it my gateway to the city life as a country boy pursuing higher education in the capital city, but it also opened the door to my first experience of Chinese culture.

A "kalesa" on Ongpin Street, Binondo, Manila
 
Having lived in my uncle's house on Camba Street in Binondo in the early 80's, I could still remember the typical daily life in this Chinese community as I saw it through its bustling street scenes: sidewalk vendors selling fresh produce, store after store of general merchandise, jewelry shops, warehouses, calesas making a pleasant sound of the horses' footfalls, churches and temples, Chinese schools, and old men and women speaking in a foreign language. Yes, I have explored and experienced Binondo's exotic smells, sights, and sounds, everything except its tastes. Regrettably, for one reason or another, I never had the chance to venture into a gastronomic journey of Manila's Chinatown.


Recently, after almost thirty years, I decided to make a homecoming journey back to this city of rich cultural heritage, but this time through the kitchen doors of hole-in-the-wall eateries and greasy spoons in one of Manila's most exciting and affordable dining destinations.


(Read more in the article IT'S CHOW TO GO, BINONDO! which appeared in Manila Bulletin on December 2, 2012. )

No comments:

Post a Comment