Tuesday, August 28, 2012

A Sweet Time in the Maldives


When I signed up as a volunteer worker for an international NGO a few years ago, I knew exactly the personal sacrifice and commitment that volunteerism required of me. So I made sure I had the right motivation for doing volunteer work and the proper training (which was so efficiently handled by the NGO's Manila-based staff) before journeying into my place of assignment- the Maldives.



The official decision to assign a volunteer to a specific country or region was largely based on the current needs of that particular developing country. Usually, most Filipino volunteers were assigned to African nations which then needed assistance in health services and social mobilization. But when my coordinator told me I was going to be assigned in Maldives as an English teacher, I had two major impressions. First, I remembered that Maldives was a luxurious tourist destination of the rich and famous. Second, that it was one of the countries seriously hit by the 2004 tsunami disaster. Beyond that, I had no idea about the culture, government, language, and religion of this tiny nation in the Indian Ocean.



One thing was certain, though. I was excited to render valuable service and contribution to the Maldivian society in general, and to their education sector in particular. This was the driving force that sustained me throughout my brief but fulfilling development-oriented work experience in Maldives.


Basically, my work involved training the Maldivian youth to become English teachers in their respective atolls (Maldives lies in rows of ring-like atolls). Since at that time there was an urgent need in Maldives for qualified teachers in my field of specialization (English education), my expertise came in handy. But I soon learned that professional skills were not enough to become an effective and efficient volunteer worker. One also has to learn to adapt to their social, economic, cultural, political, and yes, even religious customs. Maldives is a predominantly Muslim nation, and at that time was going through a political crisis arising from a dictatorial regime. But as volunteers, we had to take a neutral stand on political issues. In short, volunteers are groomed to be apolitical, but not anti-social.



Notwithstanding its turbulent political history, Maldives is a country that is easy to fall in love with. Blessed with more than a thousand coral islands with pristine white beaches boasting of world-class resorts, Maldives' prime economic force is tourism. In fact, I have met a number of Filipinos working in resorts and hotels in different atolls. But I could never have afforded the life of a tourist in Maldives. Some travelers even claim that it's more expensive to spend a holiday in Maldives than it is in Europe. I was just fortunate enough to explore its natural wonders and experience its rich culture while working as a volunteer. As part of my work, I had to visit schools located in faraway atolls, traveling in motorboats for hours. But in Maldives, time is the least of your worries. The locals live and work one moment at a time.

Tip for travelers: Take your own sweet time. For who cares about time when you're in paradise?


No comments:

Post a Comment